Initial comments from Ronan:
- iOS 6 key focus will be to bring its customers closer than ever by gaining better hold of, and providing better consumer experience in, the most popular app categories: maps and social networks.
- Google Maps could lose up to a third of its mobile users in the West if Apple launches a alternative map service. According our recent study in partnership with Arbitron Mobile, iOS panellists contributed to 28% of Google Maps users in France, Germany, Spain, UK and the US. 3 out of 4 iOS panellists used Google Maps at least once over two months.
- Location information and mapping are at forefront of application innovation. By offering its own map service, Apple will not only gain control over one of the most popular application on its devices but it will also offer developers better more integrated location-based tools for iOS.
The data on smartphone usage quoted above is included in Analysys Mason’s new report entitled: Consumer smartphone usage: key findings from an on-device tracker [http://www.analysysmason.com/About-Us/News/Press-releases1/consumer-smartphone-usage-May2012/]
This report provides:
- Insight into real-world smartphone usage behaviour by handset manufacturer, operating system, country, age and gender.
- A complete view of what happens on the device, irrespective of connectivity type.
- An understanding of the relationship between passive on-device measurement and traditional survey methodologies.
- Real-world smartphone traffic split by Wi-Fi and cellular data.
- An insight into how data traffic use varies by handset manufacturer, OS, country and age.
- how different modes of communication are used by smartphone users throughout the day
- how text-based communication is evolving on smartphones
- the real-world impact of WhatsApp Messenger, over-the-top messaging and IM
- Facebook, Skype, Viber and WhatsApp Messenger smartphone usage, by age
- the penetration and usage of apps by category, handset manufacturer, OS, country and age
- real-world browsing usage and the resulting impact on the app market
- how operating systems and app store strategies affects app consumption by category of apps.